17 June 2012

Review: Underworld - Meg Cabot

Release Date: May 8th, 2012
Hardcover: 318 Pages
Publisher: Point

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera isn't dead.
Not this time.
But she is being held against her will in the dim, twilit world between heaven and hell, where the spirits of the deceased wait before embarking upon their final journey.
Her captor, John Hayden, claims it's for her own safety. Because not all the departed are dear. Some are so unhappy with where they ended up after leaving the Underworld, they've come back as Furies, intent on vengeance... on the one who sent them there and on the one whom he loves.
But while Pierce might be safe from the Furies in the Underworld, far worse dangers could be lurking for her there... and they might have more to do with its ruler than with his enemies.
And unless Pierce is careful, this time there'll be no escape.


I have been reading Meg Cabot novels ever since I started reading books, and I'm a huge fan of hers. When I found out that she was writing a Greek mythology-themed series, I was really excited to read the whole trilogy. Abandon was amazing but somehow the sequel didn't live up to my expectations.

The plot was a bit messy. Everything was happening so fast in the beginning and I had a hard time trying to remember everything that went down in Abandon (maybe that was my mistake, I should have reread it, so I really recommend it rereading Abandon!). But I enjoyed the chapters that took place in the Underworld and all scenes that had John in it (obviously!).

Pierce was so annoying! She never knew what she wanted: stay in the Underworld or go back to her ordinary life. Which, of course, resulted in many fights with her boyfriend. John was by far the best character. He is different than most love interests. He is tough yet sweet and sometimes he could be a bit mean to Pierce (which I thoroughly enjoyed!). The new characters gave Underworld a new side and I loved them! It made the novel a lot more enjoyable.


Certainly Cabot could have done a better job with this novel but I really can't say that I didn't enjoy it. I am a sucker for Greek mythology and the Persephone myth is a favorite of mine. One thing that I really can say about this novel though, is that it isn't in any way boring. It was an enjoyable read and I loved the ending. After reading the synopsis for the next one, I'm really looking forward to the third installment!




She is now the author of nearly fifty books for both adults and teens, selling fifteen million copies worldwide, many of which have been #1 New York Times bestsellers, most notably The Princess Diaries series, which is currently being published in over 38 countries, and was made into two hit movies by Disney. Meg currently divides her time between Key West, Indiana, and New York City with a primary cat (one-eyed Henrietta), various back-up cats, and her husband, who doesn't know he married a fire horse. Please don't tell him.

2 comments:

  1. I love her Insatiable books and the Queen of Babble ones, this sounds like right up my alley. I may have to request this from the library

    Talk Supe

    ReplyDelete
  2. :0 fantastic review Rachel! I love meg's books too! I also dislike rushed stories.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis